Tuesday, February 20, 2007

In a Dunkin' Donuts just outside KL....

Me, my sis and cousin Zurin were ordering donuts. Well, they were, I just kept quiet. They were ordering in English. The Dunkin' staff were making fun of that fact.

In the mind of the guy behind the counter: Huh, speak English, they think what, they so stylo-mylo, want to be ang-moh, is it? Eleh. Tapi, pretty pulak, siak. (Obviously, he was thinking in Malay, but I'm too malas to translate, so there.)

In my mind: My word, this guy's rather rude! How dare he make fun of my sister and cousin's mastery of the beautiful English Language? I respect his obvious pride in all things Malay, but he should respect us just the same, shouldn't he? (Ok, I wasn't thinking that, in fact I was a little embarrassed when they mentioned that I was the one who sucked at Malay. Still annoyed by him though. No need for the faux accent, buddy. And no, he's not jealous, I'm sure of that. I'm positive he just thinks we're poseurs. Maybe I am, but the girls? Nooooo....)

In the girls' minds: giggle giggle giggle he's cute! giggle giggle giggle (No extra note here, I'm dead certain that's exactly what they were thinking.)

On the radio: To the left, to the left.... (Is it even possible to grow tired of this song?)

No comments: