Monday, February 06, 2006

"Hi, I'm Lucifer, and I'll be your dentist for today."

Ok, confession time: There was a point in Primary Six where I didn't brush my teeth once for 8 months. That's it, let out all your "ewwws". If there's a great example of long-term damage, it's my teeth. Up until 2 days ago, half my teeth were caked in dried plaque (calculus). I'd give you pictures, but young kiddies read this blog, so I won't.

So of course, I went to the Bukit Batok Polyclinic and entered the dentist's torture roo...I mean, office, and sat down on the chair. (Wonder how many young boys and girls met their grisly doom on it?) The dentist was nice and cordial to me, but then again, evil lurks in many disguises. I opened my mouth, and in that sarcastic way only a dentist could achieve, marvelled at how alive the hills of my teeth were with the sound of bacteria lunching on my gums.

BTW, the drill? It exists. And man, did it do a number on my poor mistreated (by me) teeth. With the drill and the small mirror and an air tube to flush away the excess calculus (For an extra crunch to your life, try Fiz's Calculus du jourTM. Now in two flavours: Mee Goreng and Mee Soto!) I'm not kidding when I say it sounded like a construction site in there. All the while, the good doctor tsk tsked about the state of my gums and wondered what on Earth did I do with my toothbrush? Brush my eyebrows? He worked on the top and bottom row which took 15 minutes each. The front teeth in the bottom row was especially sensitive, I nearly jumped out of the chair. By that time, I was asking the good Lord to smite this evil dentist. Finally, he let me out, allowing me to rinse away the blood and calculus (lots and LOTS of calculus) from my mouth to the little sink. Hmmm, blood offerings maybe?

Finally, the nightmare was over. But not quite yet! The devil's last trick? When his assistant (his sinfully cute assistant) handed me the bill: $45.50!

That's it, I'm brushing my teeth 3 times a day now. No way I'm going through that experience again!

On the flipside, my teeth has never looked better.

No comments: