Saturday, March 03, 2007

I've just gotten an email from Joost. Apparently, I've been accepted to try out their beta. Since it is invitation only, you can only imagine how chuffed I am.

Ok, Joost: from the guys who gave you that pile of adware-filled code known as Kazaa and the very useful Skype. In a nutshell, it will bring TV to the internet. Video on demand, ain't it grand? Here's an example, ironically enough taken from one of its biggest competitors.



It's beta, so there'll be bugs. And not much content (eg. a Green Day channel, MTV Staying Alive, I think there even used to be a channel dedicated to Paris Whoreton, excuse me, Hilton). But imagine this: this summer, when it goes live, live TV from around the world, with absolutely no skipping. Cause I've tried it, and the skipping comes only rarely. A few tweaks, and it'll run smoother than James Bond.

Sure, you look hard enough, there's some software out there that will allow you to watch, say, FOX and watch your beloved Prison Break, right after my beloved 24, at the very same time as the Americans do. Difference is, you have to pay for those software. Not to mention, can you really trust them? Joost however is free, like Skype does free phone calls. That will mean there will be ads, but I consider that an acceptable trade-off.

Like I said, only way to get Joost is to either sign up for the beta (and wait two months like I did), or get an invite. Which I have none. Yet.

Now, excuse me, I've got to get back to my National Geographic documentary which I paused to write this. :)

No comments: