Thursday, June 17, 2004

Procrastination, it's just my nature...

Apparently when I said "Tommorow", I meant 9 days later. Well, here's Part 2.

Sunday: This time I took bus service 106 to Suntec. Straight to its very doorstep. Apparently it goes round the fountain of wealth itself. Someday I'm gonna have to ride it all the way. Anyway, today, the crowd wasn't so crowded. Whereas yesterday it seemed like the whole teen population of Singapore was there, today only a handful of us came. The ground was much drier too, meaning the queing period was a lot better than yesterday. Made a bunch of new friends this time. Liked them better than yesterday's bunch in fact. Maybe it's because they were a LOT more enthusiastic. One of them, a Chinese, forgot his name, was an astonishingly good singer. He'll go far, I know. Yesterday's process repeated itself: Go up to the 7th floor hall, register, get number tag, queue up. No Gurmit today. Shame. I was among the front people this time. I would like to talk to him, seeing how yesterday he mainly conversed with the front people. We were split into groups of five: 2 girls, 3 guys in mine, including the good singer. There was also an Indian guy among us. Very happy guy he is. Bit like my friend Shankar. But with a moustache. While waiting for our turn, we got to talk to each other. Well, for about a minute, seeing as we spent our waiting time in the toilet. No cameras there this time.

The producers then marched us to yet another waiting area, this time with chairs. You know the room where William Hung was saying he was "studying at the University of Berkeley"? This was similar. It was here that the camera crew decided to make us sing a chorus of "Stand By Me". I think that would make it to TV. They also made this hot babe in a red dress model in front of us. I think that's guaranteed to be on TV. She walked past me twice, so that means I might be on TV for certain. Here's hoping I don't look too stiff. Soon, it was my group's turn. This was when the butterflies in my stomach set loose. In my moment of panic, I switched songs from "Lemon Tree" to "All I Have To Give". I'm sure you'll agree, that was a bad mistake. Anyhoo, we were taken to a seperate corridor. There were 5 different rooms with their own judges. So that confirms it. We'll sing for the producers before the Big 4 themselves. Imagine a class corridor during Oral exams. This was pretty much a posh version of it. I mean, red carpeting floor, velvet chairs, chandeliers. We would of course take turns to sing, me being the last. Everyone took pity on me, because I would be going in right after the good singer. A lot to live up to. None of us (except the good singer of course) came out looking happy. Finally, the good singer came out, and it was my turn. I took out my water bottle, took a swig, gargled, considered doing a Triple H spit, decided against it, and went in. Then I went out again because water bottles weren't allowed in. I'll never forget that moment, with the Singapore Idol logo behind me, and the microphone in front of me,(out of the camera's view of course), the gorgeous female producer judging me, so gorgeous I was compelled to sing my heart out instead of going the caution route I had planned to do. The room itself I found to be quite full of echoes. I can hear my own voice as I sing, and I knew that I was dead before I even started. The lady, thankfully, was a flatliner, meaning she didn't show any emotion.

Looking bad, I may have blown it singing-wise, but considering the fact I might be on TV as I was singing, wih thousands of eyes looking at me later, I was glad I didn't breakdown like I did during that OCOM presentation. Speaking of which, if I could do it now, I think I would have blown my friends' socks off. Anyway, I got out with a non-commital look on my face. Somehow the Indian guy knew that I did badly and tried to chher me up. He didn't have to. I did what I came to do. I went up to that judge, and a possible audience of thousands, and sung. Without blowing up. Whatever happened, I would be proud of myself. We all went to the results room, a smaller version of the waiting room. I read the New Paper I borrowed from someone. Apparently, they were miffed that no contestant didn't want to speak with them. We were told by the MediaCorp people that we were not to speak with any press member that isn't accompanied by a MediaCorp employee. Then lo and behold I saw a picture of my pal Khairomi. Clutching the piece of paper saying he made it to Round 2. He was of course ecstatic. He told me he'll do it 2 years ago. He told me he'll follow the path of Kelly Clarkson. Well, he's on the way. As for me, the very next second, my number was called. It seems I would not make it to the next round. Meh, too bad so sad, let's move on. No one in the room who didn't make it fell on the floor, crying with despair. And we were fairly high up, so I was wondering if somebody who didn't make it might jump. We all comforted each other within our group. We all didn't make it except of course the good singer. Then we all left to go on with our lives.

Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. But that day, I could truly look back and say, "I did my best, and I have no regrets at all."

I went to a foodcourt to eat after that. The TV there was on. Apparently Ronald Reagan died. I gave 10 seconds of silence, then resumed attack on my Mee Goreng.

No comments: