Monday, September 06, 2004

An Open Message to any Non-Wrestling Fan Out There

This is a column from Da J-Train from LordsOfPain.net, a wrestling fan site. I am in complete agreement with everything said here.

"Hi, I’m Da J-Train, and I’ve been a wrestling fan since I’ve been really young. Deal With It! I have just been getting sick and tired of these non wrestling fans out there bitching and snickering about professional wrestling and how terrible it is. We all have our likes and dislikes, and it’s a little presumptuous of non wrestling fans to impose on something we like just because they don’t like it.


I am a person who believes that something that brings joy to you can’t bring you that much harm… well, short of Doritos. This is the way I have viewed wrestling in the course of my viewing time throughout my life. I like wrestling, and if you don’t big fucking deal. Do you want a cookie? I don’t know, I suppose I am sick of these condescending people who I seem to constantly come in contact with when I am watching wrestling and they snicker or make stupid comments about how dumb wrestling is for a variety of reasons. You see, I don’t get this at all. I mean, most wrestling fans have been watching for a long time, and a good deal of them have been watching since childhood like I have. Do you really think YOUR opinion is going to make a difference in that? If not, shut up.


All of the complaints are usually all the same, at least with the people I have encountered. They all say the same things, but in a different variety. After all, is there really all that much that you can complain about a subject that you know nothing about? These are the complaints I usually hear…


Ugh, This Stuff Is SO Fake OR You Know This Stuff Is Fake, Right?: No! Really? Wow! Since when? Yeah, we all know wrestling a fake, get over it. Unless you are a deaf and dumb pig, you know that wrestling is fake. Guess what? I like it ANYWAY. So they know the outcome before it happens, big deal. There’s more to a wrestling match than the outcome. We, as wrestling fans, when he decided to like wrestling despite knowing it’s fake, all unconsciously decided to suspend logic when it came to wrestling. Logically, realism says that many of these moves could incapacitate a person for a while, or at least give these wrestlers some sort of abrasion. However, they don’t, and we’ve decided to look past realism because it’s fun to pretend!


I Don’t Watch Wrestling Anymore… it was SOOO Much Better In *Insert Period of Time*: So wrestling was better before? So what? So many things were better in the past than now. Rock music was better back in the 60’s and 70’s and early 90’s, but I still listen. Film hasn’t had a truly great year since 1994, but I still go to the movies. Every entertainment medium has their low points, why should wrestling be any different? Sure, the WWF was better a long time ago and in the mid to late 90’s, I’m still gonna watch anyway. Why? Because that’s what a fan does. Fans don’t ditch something just because it’s a sinking ship, and then bash it years later. So shut up, seriously, because chances are that something you follow closely has been better in the past.


Oh who cares… they’re just on steroids anyway: Oh, I see, so you are gonna judge all of professional wrestling based on a single scandal? That’s great logic, asshole. By that logic, all professional basketball players have been accused of sexual assault right? A boxer was just accused of raping a woman in Nicaragua, but it doesn’t mean I’m gonna judge all of boxing for that scandal for the rest of time. Really, people have to get over the whole steroids in wrestling thing and start getting tougher on the whole steroids in baseball thing… at LEAST that’s contemporary. Almost every aspect of our culture has had scandal attached to it. If people really wanted to stop doing something because of that thing’s association with scandals, they would have to stop buying corporate made products, they would have to stop voting because of past White House scandals, there would be no more worship of Roman Catholicism, and most of the professional, collegiate, and Olympic sports would be null and void. So shut up about wrestling and steroids.


What’s the point of watching? It’s SO predictable, you know who’s gonna win: How? How do YOU know who’s going to win? There are a select few who knows who is gonna win, and chances are YOU aren’t one of them. The best part about this is that most of the time that these people say this, the person that they said was gonna win ends up losing! The last time this happened to me was the HHH vs. Shelton Benjamin match and the guy who said it felt like an ass afterwards. To be honest, most of the time, you know who is gonna win, but there are many times that the WWE creates an illusion of spontaneity and throws in a monkey bone.



I guess I take all this stuff too personally, but after I have watched wrestling as long as I have, and am in an atmosphere where no one else watches, it gets a little to me when you hear the same stuff over and over again. I can hardly stand it when wrestling fans are extremely negative about wrestling… but non wrestling fans have no excuse or basis for what they are saying. They usually give really general reasons for their criticism which could get turned around to apply to anything.


So this I say to any non wrestling fans who may be reading… although I fully understand that I am writing this on a wrestling website, therefore little to no non wrestling fans will be reading… but I am saying it anyway… Shut the fuck up. Stop judging wrestling and its fans based on nothing! Allow us to watch what we enjoy. Chances are, we’ll always return the favor… and if we don’t, beat us with a stick."

No comments: