Saturday, July 01, 2006

It finally happened...

In fact, 2 things happened last week that I knew was just a matter of time.

First, I grew up listening 987 since 1996, when the music was pure Pop goodness, no Hip Hop/R&B/Simple Plan crap. The DJs were awesome: Howie in the afternoons, Christopher Goh in Jive Drive, Jean Danker on Say It With Music and Glenn Ong on The Ego Trip late night show.

The goodness lasted till 2000. Then, the lineup was shaken up, Glenn moved to the mornings, thereby neutering him for an older audience. And the songs got progressively worse.

I grew up from simple bubblegum pop, sure, so I was ready for some adult pop fare, whatever that may be, and I hoped the Perfect 10 would fill that space.

They played Eminem instead.

Long story short, after one too many mediocre, bad, Simple Plan-esque song, I snapped and turned the dial slightly to the right.

"Relax. Lush. 99.5"

And it's been there ever since mid-June. I try returning a few times, but couldn't make 30 seconds before changing it back.

I've finally out-growned 987fm. It was inevitable. Still, I'll peek at MTV once in awhile just to keep up with the mainstream stuff.

And besides, now that I come to think about it, today's DJs in 987? Well.....they bug me.

Except, of course, Jamie Yeo.

Which leads me to the 2nd thing: Jamie is a very, very ambitious lady. She works hard, and she wants to go places. I've seen enough people like her to know that she would not want to stay in radio for long. Heck, maybe not even in MediaCorp anymore.

Last Monday, she proved me right, on both counts, and thus sealing 987's fate for me.

Jamie Yeo is gone from 987, leaving just Emily and Don & Drew to be the only reasons to listen to 987. But Emily's only a part-timer and D&D, I can just download their podcast.

Kudos Jamie for taking that brave step in leaving MediaCorp and joining, believe it or not, ESPN Star Sports. Hey, it's about time another female presenter joined Collette Wong there. Can't wait to see her there.

No comments: