Thursday, December 21, 2006

Last Tuesday was probably Mother Nature going through a little PMS. It's not everyday when you have to outrun a minor landslide. I mean, freakin' hell, I like my boots and pants nice and unsoiled, thank you very much.

I remember a huge storm back in kindergarten (near where I currently live). The sky was the darkest of blue, the trees were doing the limbo and the rain splattering on the windows sounded like gunfire. A practical hurricane. Being 5 years old, we all loved it of course and wanted to go play outside, giving our teacher a few more grey hairs under her tudung. What I remember most from that day was sitting in the classroom, with a hot cup of Milo that the teacher made me and sitting on her lap (yes, I was a teacher's pet, now please stop laughing, you're gonna break a rib) and watching the storm play out.

A lovely feeling it was.

I could do practically the same last Tuesday, replacing the classroom with The Office and the teacher with one of the lady firefighters. But noooo, Captain K had to make me go out there to Headquarters to send one lousy fire report. In a lorry. In the middle of Singapore's 3rd (only?) biggest storm in 75 (only?) years.

My mom, bless her stubborn soul, still asked if I had showered when she came home.

It was quite something though, seeing the numerous landslides, uprooted trees, road accidents, umbrella-less fools running around and through it all, the driver wanting to set a record for most drifts on the PIE.

A wet, memorable Tuesday.

No comments: