Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Earworm of the Moment

Halcyon & On & On - Orbital

Right now, I have 2 ideas for blog posts. I couldn't decide which to write first, so I did the logical thing and flipped a coin. This post is the winner.

Music, as that bald guy from Stratford-upon-Avon said, is the food of life. Can't argue with that logic. Most of my memories are associated with at least one song. Eg. Grad Night 2000 with Nelly's Dillema. Or 1995 with Green Day's Good Riddance (Time of your Life). I love music, I make it a point to try to download every single song I hear in my computer until it's completely full or the police bang my door down, whichever comes first.

So it drives me crazy when I hear I song I absolutely love, and I don't know the title or the singer's name. It's agony, a song so good I want to listen to it again and again and again, yet I don't what to put in the search box. This happens quite a lot, but usually, I find out what I needed to know soon after. Songs like Sunchyme by Dario G, which I only found out the title only 2 years after I first heard it. (Classic song BTW, grab it!) But THIS song, this song, it's kept eluding me all these years, ever since I heard it at the Mortal Kombat movie credits way back in 1996, then when Channel 5 used it in a Survivor trailer a few years later. It drove me crazy that a song this good isn't in my hard drive. I don't know how to search for it in Google. Lyrics are a no go, since the lyrics basically go like this: "Pee ya, pee ya, on on on on & on & on". Well, ok, that's my interpretation of it.

I heard the song again at the end of the movie, Mean Girls, right at the beginning of the end credits. Then it hit me like that bus hit Regina. I thought the song was so good, surely, SURELY, someone would ask about it in iMDB. And sure enough, there it was. And yeah, I know, I could've done the same thing from the Mortal Kombat page. But I didn't.

10 years, and only NOW I get the song title. Unbelievable. At any rate, I am ecstatic to have FINALLY found it. 10 minutes of ambient trance bliss. It is now most definitely my favourite song from clubland.

No comments: