Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Meegorengfreak just doesn't sound right...

Mee Goreng as the National Dish of Singapore



I love Mee Soto, yes I do, chilli, chicken, soup, noodles, everything but the taugeh(sp?). But really, there is nothing, nothing quite like a hot plate of Mee Goreng to end the day with.

Now personally, I prefer the Thai or Seafood Mee Goreng, but the Indian Mee Goreng has a distinct personality of its own. Sometimes, it's just bland, but when it's done right (ie. the Mee Goreng under the car park next to my home), it's simply divine.

Anyway, the blogger I linked up there has a good point: "Was having Mee Goreng for lunch yesterday when it occurred to me that Mee Goreng is the one dish that uniquely defines the melting pot of cultures that is Singapore. It's neither Chilli Crabs nor is it Chicken Rice. Think about it. It is cooked by an Indian Muslim in Ghee, using a Chinese wok, with Chinese cabbage, Hokkien noodles, Malay chilli padi, Indian mutton (marinated with the Sup Kambing) and American Ketchup. I don't think there is another dish that represents such an unique mix of different cultures in such a delicious and comforting manner. Like Singapore no?"

Exactly what I think.

Oh, and don't forget the teh tarik or Milo Dinosaur.

No comments: